Kx Consulting Services
Our global team of Kx consultants have years of experience in developing, deploying and supporting kdb+ based applications and solutions across multiple industries. They have been delivered in areas ranging from transaction cost analysis, real-time risk aggregation, visualization, latency analysis and meter reading analysing and across the worlds of finance, pharmaceuticals, oil and gas and utilities.
Whether you are designing a brand new system or undertaking the redesign of an existing architecture, our most experienced consultants can work with you to analyze your needs, estimate the resources you require, and develop a detailed project plan which will allow you to maximize the benefit you receive from this powerful technology.
As a Kx customer you can avail of the expertise of our top quality engineers ranging from junior to senior level and benefit from the flexibility of engagement and breadth of experience that we provide.
Near Shore Centre of Excellence
Kx provides a Centre of Excellence service that covers the full software development life-cycle (“SDLC”) from requirements gathering, design, development, testing, deployment through to post delivery support and maintenance. By assembling experts in each of these areas it taps their collective knowledge and experience to deliver superior quality software and support. It incorporates formal project management methodologies and best practice in terms of account management and governance. Moreover by offering its COE services on a reduced-cost, Near Shore basis it provides further saving across the full spectrum of recruitment, training, IT infrastructure, office space, career planning, HR and management overhead.
COE Case Study : Our client wished to establish a cost effective centre of excellence for kdb+ development and production support to cater for the millions of customer queries sent on a 24/7 basis. This required comprehensive project management skills and in-depth product knowledge, along with expert development skills in technologies such as Shell scripting, UNIX, Perl and Java as well as vast experience using project management tools like JIRA, source code repositories like Perforce, robust regression testing and software release procedures. The service was subsequently extended to other functional groups based on the success of the initial project.
What we did:
- Built a dedicated team, including both on-site and Near Shore team leads that manage a group of highly skilled developers
- Formalized a Service Level Agreement and Business Continuity Plan.
- Established a secure technological and Near Shore office infrastructure, meeting the highest facility standards.
- Ongoing, intensive training of team members on the client’s methodology, development framework and other company practices.
- Knowledge transfer (onsite to Near Shore/offshore)
- Facilitated scaling of developer team size to meet budget/project needs.
- Proximity – Near Shore services facilitate physical and financial ease in travelling to the Near Shore location for training.
- Reduce the dependency upon internal resources.
- Equivalent time zones – Near Shore location is in a similar time zone to the company and crosses between the Asian, European and American trading sessions.
- Faster turnaround and increased productivity
- On-call production support 24 hours a day.
Olympians Consulting Programme
As an extension of its standard consulting services Kx operates an Olympian consulting programme that makes diligent, highly-skilled, well-trained graduates available to clients at reduced or sometimes zero cost. Olympians can contribute immediately to project deliverables and are supported by their experienced colleagues. Typically Kx will place a number of Olympians consultants at a discounted rate, or possibly for free, for a short period as projects are triaged, ramped-up and realigned. Only when our consultants start to add value and contribute meaningfully to the project do they revert to normal charge-out rates.
Profile of a typical Olympian consultant
- Trained and mentored by experienced Kx professionals
- First hand experience with real live development projects and environments
- Understanding of architecting and designing real world Kx implementations
- Familiar with the software development life cycle and the Agile methodology
- Understanding of the principles of trading and in particular program trading
- Has access to some of the most experienced kdb+ and market data professionals in the world